Sunday, February 01, 2009

Back Again

I have recently returned from a stint at Amazon.com in Seattle, where I was offered a software development position on the security team. During my time there, I was introduced to the Amazon.com infrastructure and their core values. There is a lot of reliance on who you know and what is known by the the people you know. This is more reliable than the available documentation. Most things focused on the bottom line. Errors measure it and motivation is driven by it. It's very different to the my other industry experience.

In terms of project, I was placed on what can be called a practical data mining project. It wasn't quite what I had expected. I performed hands on data warehouse queries that resulted in large volumes of data. Within the data, I was to find correlations. It was an interesting experience. I worked mostly by myself on this isolated project.

No comments: